Chillin’ with my Peeps – Homemade Marshmallow Peeps.
Who doesn’t love Peeps? I DO ! Call over a few favorite girlfriends, or your sweetie and your children into the kitchen! It is time to CHILL WITH YOUR PEEPS AND MAKE DIY HOMEMADE PEEPS!
Sparkle! Sparkle! XX -gwyn
What you will need:
sparkling colored sugar
*Want to save money and make your own?
Click here for the Sparkling Charm DIY Sparkling Colored Sugar recipe.
1 cup water
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons pure vanilla
black food coloring gel for eyes
16″ piping bag
piping tip, 1A with a large coupler
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, bending the edges up to secure the SparklingColored Sugar.
- Spread the Sparkling Colored Sugar out evenly.
- Prepare your piping bag with a 1 A tip and a large coupler.
- Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Allow the mixture to bloom while you make the marshmallow syrup.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour syrup into the dissolved gelatin in the mixer bowl.
- Turn the stand mixer to high speed and whip until the mixture just starts to thicken but still a bit loose. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and mix for 30 more seconds.
- Immediately transfer the marshmallow mixture to large piping bag fitted with the 1 A tip and large coupler.
Shape your Peeps
- Quickly pipe a 2″ line of marshmallow pulling back towards the front and away quickly at the end. This forms the body and the tail of the peep.
- Place the tip over the front of the peep body, opposite the tail that was just formed. Gently squeeze to build up the head of the peep. When the marshmallow mound spreads just a bit, stop squeezing and pull the marshmallow forward (away from the peep tail) just past the body to form a beak.
- Repeat, and continue forming Peeps until you are out of the marshmallow mixture.
- Use a spoon to Cover your peeps in the Sparkling Colored Sugar.
- Use the black food coloring gel and a toothpick to add eyes to your peeps.
- Let the Peeps set for 30 minutes before eating or packaging.
- Work Quickly! If the marshmallow sets, just cut the piping bag away and eat your cone shaped marshmallow.
- If your peeps are not holding their shape when piped, the marshmallow has not set enough. Let it sit a few minutes and try again.
“Peeps are produced by Just Born, a candy manufacturer founded in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, by Russian immigrant Sam Born (1891-1959). In 1953 Just Born acquired the Rodda Candy Company and its marshmallow chick line, and replaced the painstaking process of hand-forming the chicks with mass production.”
Want to see how the original PEEPS are made……