Mint Juleps are the quintessential Southern cocktail. Sipped by Southern Belles for centuries, this whiskey, dixie crystal, and mint concoction will add an extra smile to your style if you know what I mean?!
Hang on to your pearls girls! Today I am sharing my personal Mint Julep recipe with my classified tricks that will make the magic happen.
Sparkle! Sparkle! Sip! Sip! XX -gwyn
Sparkling Mint Julep
1 chilled julep cup, see directions below
Classified Sparkling Charm Tip: If you didn’t inherit a set of monogramed state specific julep cups passed down from your grandmama’s mother, you can pick a set up at Wal Mart for less than $5.00 each.
4 fresh mint leaves
1 fresh mint sprig (for garnish)
2 ounces Perfect Mint Simple Syrup, recipe below
1 ounce bourbon, high proof
Classified Sparkling Charm Tip: Many people make the mistake of using a low proofed bourbon. You need a high proof in order to make it stand up to the crushed ice.
Classified Sparkling Charm Tip: Some people add lime. NOPE! NOPE! and NOPE! Save the lime for the Mojito!
1 (8″) cocktail stir stick
1 fresh mint sprig, garnish
powdered sugar, garnish
Making this to celebrate the Kentucky Derby? Consider adding the Sparkling Charm DIY Horse Stir Stick to your Julep cup.
- Classified Sparkling Charm Tip: Place a mint leaf in the julep cup. Use the back of a spoon to release the oils. Rub the entire inside of the julep cup and the rim with the leaf.
- Classified Sparkling Charm Tip: Put a dash of bourbon in your julep cup and swirl it around coating the inside completely.
- Place the julep cup in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 ounces of the mint simple syrup to the chilled julep cup.
- Add the stir stick or a straw.
- Pack the julep cup tightly with crushed ice.
- Pour one ounce of bourbon over ice.
- Use the stir stick to stir.
- Insert a mint sprig directly into the ice.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Perfect Mint Simple Syrup
3 fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Dixie Crystal (white sugar)
Roll the three mint leaves together and tear them into pieces to release to oils. In a small saucepan, add the water Dixie Crystal sugar and the torn mint. Bring to a simmer while stirring to dissolve the sugar. Sparkling Charm Classified Tip: Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot letting the mixture rest and cool for exactly 30 minutes. Remove the mint leaves. Pour the Perfect Mint Simple Syrup into a jar to store. Any left over syrup can be used in later in sweet tea.