HAPPY NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY!
Today is National Strawberry Day! Even though strawberries are in season between April and August in the United States, today is the day to celebrate the lovely strawberry.
Facts for the Strawberry Enthusiast.
Did You know Strawberries are a member of the Rose Family? Maybe that is why they smell so good?
- Strawberries are not berries. Berries have three layers. The outer skin, the fleshy middle, and the innermost part that holds the seeds. Strawberries wear their seeds on the outside. They are an aggregate fruit. (It gets a little more technical, but I will leave it at this. If you have a wondering mind, I did my research on Wikipedia and the Kenny’s Strawberry Farm webpage.
- Strawberries are one of the first fruits to ripen in the spring.
- Strawberries help prevent cancer and improve the health of the eye.
- Pregnant women who eat strawberries can lower the risks of birth defects in their children.
- Eight strawberries will provide 140 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C for kids.
Here at Sparkling Charm, I am celebrating this delicious fruit by making Strawberry Shortcake. So pull out your apron and rolling pin and make them with me. Scroll on down to my Sparkling Charm Strawberry Shortcake for the recipe.
Sparkle! Sparkle! XX – Gwyn
Credits//Author, Creator, and Photographer: Gwyn @SparklingCharm.com