DIY Sparkling Colored Sugar.
Today at Sparkling Charm, I have decided to show you how to make your own Sparkling Colored Sugar. It is super easy to make and you can customize the color you need for any personal baking project that requires sparkle. Bonus! It will save you money. Colored sugar is expensive.
Have you ever been in a bakery or a local coffee shop and had a delicious cookie covered in sparkling sugar catch your eye and beckon you to buy it? I have many times! …and admit I have purchased them just because they are pretty. Instead of eating them, I take them home and place them somewhere special so that I see them often. I have every intention of enjoying them with tea …but they are just so pretty. I end up keeping them for weeks and they end up being inedible. The joy I get from how cute these sparkly treats are surely suffice the pleasure of eating this delicious treat. I suppose you could say this is a great way to enjoy a cookie without the calories.
Let’s get started!
Note: This recipe makes 24 tablespoons or 12 teaspoons of Sparkling Colored Sugar. Any unused sugar can be stored in jars.
1 cup granulated or sanding sugar
food coloring gel
plastic zip bag
- Place the sugar in a plastic zip bag.
- Start by adding two tiny drops of food coloring gel.
- Seal the zip bag and knead gently until the color is evenly distributed.
- Add more food color if you desire a deeper tone, zip and knead again.
- Spread the colored sugar in a thin layer on a baking sheet and break up any large clumps.
- Allow the colored sugar to dry completely.
- Sift the sugar through a strainer to remove large and dark clumps.
There you have it! DIY COLORED SUGAR!
Sparkle! Sparkle! XX -gwyn